Last week, we talked about getting some hobbying into your life. Now, let’s talk about the benefits of creating a side hustle, not just a hobby. A colleague of mine started ceramics earlier this year, and, as she’s continued, people have been asking to purchase her pieces. Hobby turned hustle!
There are many benefits to starting a side hustle, and, there are many side hustles you can take on! Read on dear friends for some side hustlin’ benefits and ideas for you start the hustle.
- Outlet – similar to the “rest” of the hobby, a side hustle allows you to expand something that you have interest in. It delivers a specific time and space for you to focus on something that you’d like to do more of, whether it be creative or financially focused.
- Diversification – by creating the side hustle, you’re building marketable, hireable skills that could either support your current 9-5 gig, or offer you a way into a new type of gig.
- Freedom – Working in your off hours lets you be your own boss, dictate your own hours, or think about that new company you want to build. Or, if you’re looking to change jobs, it allows you to test something out in your free time without the commitment of a full-time job. That way, if you love it, you know you want more of it, and if you don’t love it, you can trying something different!
- Network – by learning new skills and meeting with new people you’re creating even more connections outside of your current work circle. These are the same people that could either help you get an idea off the ground, or, maybe a new job, who knows! Who doesn’t like making new connections?
- Money – by getting some money in on the side, it’s more than you’d be making before the gig. With the revenue that comes in you can choose to reinvest into your side hustle, or treat it as a surprise windfall. Even babysitting gives you a little extra cash that can help pay off debt, credit cards or build up your emergency savings account.
For some fun ideas of side hustles you could be doing right now, check out The Art of Manliness by Brett & Kate McKay where they cover some ideas after their guest contributor Tyler Tervooren wrote about the side hustle.